Jordan McDermott, Criminal Coordinator, SLS (Student Legal Services Edmonton)
- SLS is run by law students who are supervised by actual practicing lawyers. The organization has been around since 1969.
- They provide free legal information and assistance to low income persons in the Edmonton area.
- They have over 250 volunteer students during the school year and hire approximately 25 students to work over the summer months.
- They can help with:
- Criminal–where the Crown is proceeding summarily and not seeking jail time.
- Civil-including small claims (under $50 000), residential tenancies, WCB, etc.
- Family-they can provide information for divorce, child and spousal support, but can only provide actual assistance with child support and parenting orders which are already in place
- They also participate in various outreach and legal education programs.